Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest

To: Thomas Hammond <Thomas.Hammond@infor.com>, "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest
From: Trent Sampson <vk4ts@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 22:04:20 +0000
Hi Thomas,

You are talking about massive fundamental change to the most popular event on
the calendar.

There is a reason it is the most popular - People like it. (despite the
grumbles)

Adding the complexity to the exchange may or may not work - Your proposal is
almost the same as the recently revived Makrothen RTTY Contest. Another example
of where DX based scoring failed to excite the punter despite the best
intentions of those involved.

My suggestion would be this needs its own weekend and promotion and nothing to
do with the CQWW as we all know and enjoy.

>From VK, we know we can win, Single band Worldwide in the CQWW and very rarely
>a Multi Op - how do we motivate ourselves ? We reference against our own
>scores - If the standard was to win WorldWide from VK we would have quit
>contesting years ago.

Distance based ? We would love it - because our paths to anywhere are huge. JA
- 7000km USA West Coast 11,000 EU 15,000 - Apply that to our logs with 5000+
QSOs and I can assure you VK and ZL would become the go to place for Contests
if scoring was distance based.

See you in the Makrothen in 2017 :-)

Regards

Trent Sampson