[CQ-Contest] DX Contest

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 07:39:36 -0400
K8BKM wrote -

If it's a DX contest that you desire, why not change the scoring system to
be based on the Maidenhead 2 x 1 degree grid square system that's used in
the VHF/UHF world? Logging software would have to be "enhanced" to perform a
real-time calculation of the great circle (short path?) distance between
stations. This way, DX is actually equal to distance, not some political
border / boundary. Q's would be Q's, no matter where, but multipliers would
be grid squares, with a weighting based on distance that encourages or
rewards "real DX". This levels the playing field, doesn't it? Now San Diego
can work Boston, for more "DX value" than say London working Paris. It's DX
you're trying to encourage, right, not necessarily Q's?

This would remove the "advantage" that many are arguing Europeans have over
other parts of the world, or that the East Coast has over the West Coast. In
this contest, I could work people in my own city, my own state, my own call
area, but my DX score wouldn't be very good.

For example:

Score = Q's x grid square / distance value, where grid square /distance
value =

0-1000   miles, 1 pt

1001-5000 miles, 2 pt

5001-10000 miles, 3 pt

>10,001 miles, 4 pt

Yep, log checking would be more complex, too, but of course it would be
automated. Anyone claiming a grid square is a greater distance that it
actually is would have a busted Q.

This scoring system still rewards hams in high population-density areas, so
the weighting would have to be non-linear. Essentially the contest would be
less of a DXCC entity contest and more of true world-wide (work anybody)
contest with a reward for longer-distance Q's.

Interested to hear the pros / cons of a DX contest structured this way.
Pardon me if there is already a contest (I'm not aware of) that is already
scored this way. I think the Stew Perry Top Band Challenge rewards DX Q's by
distance, but that's a one-band contest.

Tom, I think it's a great idea.  What weekend do we want to try this
contest?  Its essentially a Stew Perry 160 - 10M contest.

Ed  N1UR