[CQ-Contest] help needed to get FLDIGI to copy CW accurately

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] help needed to get FLDIGI to copy CW accurately
From: "FritzOAQ" <fritz@k4oaq.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:42:42 -0500
I tried sending this to the Win-fldigi Black Hole Yahoo Group but I never
saw it show up as a post.

I believe I've been a mbr of the group for a month or so.

So please forgive my slightly non-contest post to a site that works.

I have FLDIGI 3.23.17 installed & have it copying CW poorly.

The best doc I've found that helped me get to where I am is

http://w3luz.org/Resources/fldigi_tour_current_download_copy.pdf

I observe a few letters getting copied correctly but most don't.

I've played with the SQL & 'slider'.

It appears to me that the slider shud be positioned at or slightly above the
green bar beside it when there is no signal.

I've moved it above & below the noise & the only diff I can tell is whether
gibberish comes out when there is no signal.

Here's a CQ I heard.

CQ CQ CQ DE VE3NDI VE3NDI VE3NDI K

The first line was the stn sending CQ sequence twice. I believe the 2nd line
was just one CQ sequence.

The end of the 2nd line may be a few letters from the stn answering the CQ.

8Q C<SK>DEE3DDVE3NDI4E3NDICQCQDEVE3NDI5E3SDISI3NDIB

I S** \*BEXEI IDAVE3NDIV3NHEE /TMCQLE<VE>3SDIVENDIVE NIIK T*

No I didn't fiddle with the settings between or during the reception of the
two lines above.

And the signal strength & noise sounded the same to me. J

I just got thu listening to part of another QSO between a couple of strong
sigs & I saw maybe a couple of chars that were correct out of several lines.

I'm sure I've have sumthing set incorrectly but I have no idea what.

One last bit of info.

My xcvr is a Yaesu FTDX1200 with audio cord running from REC jack in back to
Mic jack on my Dell Latitude E6510 64 bit Windows 7 computer.

Any help/suggestions wud be most appreciated.

73,

Fritz K4OAQ