Re: [CQ-Contest] disruptive event in 1977 (was: call sign history)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] disruptive event in 1977 (was: call sign history)
From: John Unger <w4au@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:27:05 -0500
Well, I may have been the recipient of an unsolicited accommodation from a "right" person at the FCC in 1976-77. When I returned from Hawaii and moved to California in 1974, I kept my KH6IJX callsign and operated /6; I knew that I was going to be moving again pretty soon. (I had had to give up W3GOI when operating on the big Island). Sure enough, I ended up here in Virginia in 1976 and when I got an antenna up, again operated as KH6IJX/6 for a while.

Just out of curiosity one day I called the FCC in Gettysburg (remember, those were the times when you could actually telephone the FCC and talk to someone!). Anyway, I explained that I was no longer in Hawaii and wondered if I could get my original callsign, W3GOI, back. (I don't remember when it happened, but by that time you didn't have to change callsigns when you moved to a different call area.) The FCC person said something like, "Let me see what I can do...", and a few weeks later I got a new license for W3GOI in the mail!

Didn't cost me anything extra, either...

Of course, once I started contesting seriously here I realized that having a 3-area call in Virginia could be confusing. Also, W3GOI was not the nicest callsign on CW! So in the 1996 vanity event, I applied for and received W4AU - a great CW call!

73 - John, W4AU