Re: [CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay will it sh

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] what is required of recevied audio, and whay will it show?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 10:03:36 -0800
On Fri,3/10/2017 1:41 AM, David Pruett wrote:
Just about any modern transceiver that has a sub-receiver utilizes stereo receive audio.

Not quite. They feed two channels of audio to headphones, but those channels are not "stereo." Stereo is, by definition, the use two or more microphones in an acoustic environment to receive magnitude, phase, and time information about sound in that space, and feeding that signal to two or more loudspeakers or headphones to reproduce the sound in the original environment, including the spatial location of the sound sources. In stereo, the PHASE relationships between the two channels is critical, and far more than the amplitude relationships.

The only way in which we use anything like this in ham radio is diversity reception, where two receivers are fed by two antennas and we put one in one ear and one in the other. The amplitude and phase relationships between the two antennas provide a sound field that can create a spatial impression and sound a lot like stereo.

When doing SO2R, many of us put the radio on our left to our left ear and the radio on our right to our right ear, but since those radios are listening to two different frequencies, it's NOT stereo.

73, Jim K9YC