Re: [CQ-Contest] Hamvention - New Venue, etc.

To: Radio K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com>, Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>, reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Hamvention - New Venue, etc.
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 16:47:58 -0500
What was/is the washroom capabilities like?
in the photos I saw some porta potties.
Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
On 5/21/2017 11:50 AM, Radio K0HB wrote:
For a "first effort" I give DARA a solid "589".

Friday morning traffic was a learning experience, but Saturday AM the
County-Mounties were in place on the main approach routes, and things were
remarkably smoother. Lesson learned, correction applied.

Parking was a non-issue --- lots of room, and even though I ended up on the
southwest-forty Saturday, the John Deere powered shuttles were prompt and
efficient.

"Don't Cry For Me Hararena" (sung to the tune of "Don't Cry For Me
Argentina"). In addition to the permanent buildings for "inside vendors"
there were a number of large tents with additional vendors/clubs under
cover. All the buildings were clean and free of barnyard odors (hey, it's a
County fairground in farm country!) Forums were in two spacious climate
controlled buildings, and seemed there were more than usual forums. Hot
weather/humidity Friday afternoon made a couple of the buildings "sticky",
but Budweiser had a semi-load barley pop on hand to stave off the threat of
heat stroke.

Lots of food vendors in a central food-courtyard setting, much more variety
than the "church basement" style at Hara.

I'm not a flea market guy, so can't comment much on that, but it looked
about as big as the Hara parking lot site. Looks like the racetrack infield
still had room for expansion. Downside, due to a couple of passing
rainstorms, it got kind of swampy out there by late today (Saturday).

The contest banquet was great. TIM was so damned dapper it made my eyes
water!

I'll come back next May.

73, de Hans, K0HB
"Just a Boy and his Radio"™