Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rule Change for Remote Ops - Always Multi-op?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rule Change for Remote Ops - Always Multi-op?
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 07:36:22 -0400
The issue on repairs mid contest is about operating time.  If you have
standby equipment available but still have to do the swap or repair
yourself, you are not operating while you do it.  If a pit crew standing by
does it, you are able to operate uninterrupted.  Of course its an advantage
to having a pit crew vs not.  And confusing that with having a friends amp
in the stand by position but still having to do the swap yourself if needed
is nonsense.

To N5DX's credit, when he realized that he had violated the ARRL DX single
op rule in a particular contest - he did the right thing - he changed his
submission.  I don't believe the violation even occurred to him at the time.
But I still disagree that having a stand by pit crew is a fair in the single
op category.  Dealing with situations that come up in a contest is part of
contesting.

The fact that remote contesting presents challenges to that fact should not
allow those remoting to have special privileges.  Be on site if its that
important.  Or accept you could be handicapped vs being on site if a problem
occurs.  Or accept that you category will change if you need assistance or
you live with the handicap because you are remote.  This, in my opinion, is
whats fair.

73

Ed  N1UR