Re: [CQ-Contest] Tennessee QSO Party 2017 - Sunday September

To: k9yc@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tennessee QSO Party 2017 - Sunday September
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 18:05:19 -0400
 This is an issue of geography and propagation, plus that there are many more
casual ops who will work random people (as opposed to showing up for their net)
hanging out on the higher bands.

>From Ohio, the normal skip zone on 20 starts at about the Maritimes to the
>east, north Florida to the south, and Kansas to the west. To hang out on 20
>trying to work W5-6-7 is never going to be as productive for us as working
>people in W1-2-3- 4-8-9, eastern zero, and VE3. And if we're going to be
>working people in Illinois and Pennsylvania, we might as well be working the
>guys in Ohio as well. OTOH somebody in Utah can hang out on 20 and work 95% of
>the country.

Yes, it is a chicken/egg situation. Activity begets activity. Llittle reward on
the high bands from Ohio (or nearby) results in little activity from afar on
the high bands, which results in little interest in the high bands.As a mobile
in the OhQP a few weeks back, I spent some time on 20 in each county until
2200z when I was finding nothing. My first CA station - 0200z on 40 meters!
And thank you, Jim, for being there for a couple of qsos in the last hour on 40.

One useful thing people with decent stations in places like CA could do in
these eastern QSO parties would be to CQ on the higher bands, especially on
SSB. A lot of the relative newcomers in these QSO parties don't know how to, or
don't have the stations, to generate callers on the high bands, but do spend a
lot of time tuning. If while tuning they hear and work some guys, their
interest in spending time on the higher bands will be much increased.

73  -  Jim  K8MR