Re: [CQ-Contest] Tennessee QSO Party 2017 - Sunday September

To: jimk8mr@aol.com, k9yc@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tennessee QSO Party 2017 - Sunday September
From: Dave Edmonds <dave@pkministrywebs.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 09:01:38 +0000
Understood Jim.... I forgot about one more change we made. We added one
more hour to the end of our contest.

I plan to mention to mobiles stations make sure that they meet our west
coast guests at the party.

73 dave
On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:36 PM K8MR via CQ-Contest <
cq-contest@contesting.com> wrote:

>  This is an issue of geography and propagation, plus that there are many
> more casual ops who will work random people (as opposed to showing up for
> their net) hanging out on the higher bands.
>

> From Ohio, the normal skip zone on 20 starts at about the Maritimes to the
> east, north Florida to the south, and Kansas to the west. To hang out on 20
> trying to work W5-6-7 is never going to be as productive for us as working
> people in W1-2-3- 4-8-9, eastern zero, and VE3. And if we're going to be
> working people in Illinois and Pennsylvania, we might as well be working
> the guys in Ohio as well. OTOH somebody in Utah can hang out on 20 and work
> 95% of the country.
>

> Yes, it is a chicken/egg situation. Activity begets activity. Llittle
> reward on the high bands from Ohio (or nearby) results in little activity
> from afar on the high bands, which results in little interest in the high
> bands.As a mobile in the OhQP a few weeks back, I spent some time on 20 in
> each county until 2200z when I was finding nothing. My first CA station -
> 0200z on 40 meters!  And thank you, Jim, for being there for a couple of
> qsos in the last hour on 40.
>

> One useful thing people with decent stations in places like CA could do in
> these eastern QSO parties would be to CQ on the higher bands, especially on
> SSB. A lot of the relative newcomers in these QSO parties don't know how
> to, or don't have the stations, to generate callers on the high bands, but
> do spend a lot of time tuning. If while tuning they hear and work some
> guys, their interest in spending time on the higher bands will be much
> increased.
>

> 73  -  Jim  K8MR

Dave Edmonds
Dave@PKMinistryWebs.com