Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 05:56:14 -0400
Shelby - K4WW stated - "If all contests were the same, where would the
interest be in that? I respect the fact that we are all entitled to our
opinions. Checking my log I don't find N1UR on RTTY, and W2UP, not since
2004? If you're not playing in the contest, what difference does it make how
it is managed?"

Shelby, you are correct, I have never operated RTTY.  Not a fan.  So I have
no dog in the race of the CQ WW DX RTTY.  That wasn't the point of my
response.  It was to correct severe misunderstandings of the posters.  The
RTTY contest started off differently because of the fear that there would be
so little QSO activity if you didn't allow in country Qs for points and not
enough mults for just DX countries and zones.  The first 15+ years of
contest participation show that this was a good decision.

Now that there are 3000 logs, and its supposed to be a DX contest, is it
still the right decision?  Doesn't matter to me.  But lets have our history
and facts straight.

By the way, I have suggested for a few years, including formally to to CQ WW
Committee, that the rules me amended to kill the "work your own country and
zone for multiplier credit" to "all stations get their own country and zone
credited with the first Q on a band" and "you must work valid Qs (not same
country) for all zone credit".

So Ws would work only VEs for zone 3, 4, 5 and not need to work anyone to
get W and the zone they are in.

I was disappointed to see that the rule change was not even considered by
the committee.

73

Ed  N1UR