Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for
From: "Eric Gruff" <egruff@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 12:07:14 -0800
I agree with the part about it being easier to find open spots on the bandmap
to run. It’s also a function of having panadapters that let you just point and
click to the empty spots.

However, there was no shortage of bug and straight key (or maybe they just
soldered a phone plug onto a piece of zip cord and touched the wires together
to send?) users who adopted the “a dash should be about 1.2 times longer than a
dot” when sending exchanges. I had one fellow who was S9+, but decided to send
serial number 9 as “009” with his straight key, and it took about five repeats
to figure it out. I sent “nr 9?”, and he sent “009” over and over, which also
could have been “090”, “099”, “090”, etc. This was hours into the contest, so I
couldn’t rule out anything. I sure won’t be surprised if the contact comes up
busted.

Then there were folks who when asked to repeat “PREC”, sent everything but
that. I got the entire exchange again twice, callsigns, “?” (probably a lot of
folks who don’t know what precedence is), and silence. I guess that’s why SS is
so challenging.

I still had a lot of fun. I could have won the whole thing if the sun hadn’t
gotten into my eyes. 😉

Eric NC6K

Message: 3