Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Recording

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Recording
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:18:04 -0800
On 1/29/2018 5:35 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
On balance, I find audio recording to be an inexact, ineffective and largely
bureaucratic solution in search of a problem.

On what basis do you "find" this statement to be true? Have you ever participated in log checking to detect rules violations? Or, on the basis of your "armchair" experience BELIEVE it to be true?

I've worked at least a dozen DX contests QRP and others at legal limit. There's a HUGE difference. I've worked both assisted and un-assisted. There's a significant difference in HOW one approaches S&P with and without assistance. These differences would be quite obvious by studying an audio recording.

Someone asked about suitable products. Here's one from a well respected mfr of semi-pro audio gear. It runs on a pair of AA batteries and has no moving parts because it records to a memory card, so a fresh set of batteries should make it through a long contest. All it takes is a Y-cord headphone splitter and  simple voltage dividers on both left and right channels so that it doesn't overload the external stereo mic inputs. And, of course, your station must be properly bonded.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/186480-Tascam-DR-05

73, Jim K9YC