Re: [CQ-Contest] Certificates for ARRL DX - a great motivator for new co

To: w0mu@w0mu.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Certificates for ARRL DX - a great motivator for new contesters
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 09:13:19 -0400
Well Mike,

Circumstances this year prevented me from hosting my usual M/S LP efforts.  In
years past, I've tried to include relatively new or currently inactive hams in
the invitations.

We've been fortunate enough to win certificates more than a few times in our
category, at varying levels.

If you've seen the look on someone's face when they see their call on a
certificate... let's just say that there is more to this than just the dollars
and cents of processing and mailing certs.

If you don't want them for yourself, and don't want the League (or whomever the
contest sponsor is) to spend the money to send you wallpaper that will quickly
get filed or recycled, that's fine.  I have no problem with that option being
made available for the benefit of those who don't want the paper.

I simply disagree that doing this across the board is a wise decision.
Especially when the actual costs are probably relatively minor.  Yes, the funds
could be redirected elsewhere... but would they?

I don't know what the costs are, but I suspect that they're only around a
hundred or three per contest, depending on how many certs are sent out.  Isn't
this a relatively mere pittance?  So, if this is going to be reduced to simply
a budget cost, maybe a better alternative would be to recruit a sponsor for the
certs, just as we recruit sponsors for the plaques.

IMHO, give those who don't or no longer want certs the ability to decline.  But
don't deny them to everyone else simply because some don't want them.

73, ron W3WN