[CQ-Contest] FT-8

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FT-8
From: Bill via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:42:05 -0400
As a newbie to FT-8...10 days and I have some thoughts.

First, I see it not as a fad, but a way of life in ham radio....just like
packet.  For better or worse it is here to stay.

Why?  Several reasons.  The new crop of hams are almost no-code guys....limited
to RTTY, FT-8 and SSB.  On HF unless you can get a beam up maybe 40 feet your
chances of working DX on SSB are pretty limited, especially at this part of the
cycle.  Like it has been pointed out, it gives the guys a chance to work DX.
Throw in with this it is increasingly difficult to get a tower up due to
zoning, deed restrictions and local government.

For me, I have a different outlook on it...big station in a semi-rare QTH.  For
me to work an endless string of W/K stations on HF FT-8 is like watching grass
grow.  However I like FT-8 for a couple of reasons.  I listen on the FT-8
frequency on a dead band like 12 or 17.  If I hear/see no signals there I know
the band is truly dead.  However, if I see the DX signals are -10, -15 I know I
can try some FT-8.  If signals start getting up to -5 or 0 I know the band is
open enough to make contacts on CW or SSB.  I did this on 12 and 17 meters last
night, local time 9 PM..bunches of JAs and EU on SSB and CW

Last Saturday, I was on 15 and EU at this time of the cycle 10 AM local time
there is NO prop to EU or mid-east.  It was really cool to knock off some EU
and even a couple of 4X4s.  They were all way down in the mid-teens, and there
were only a few W/K stations coming in on SSB or CW.

Granted the level of skill needed to work FT-8 is far below CW.  However, it
does take more skill than I originally thought.  One thing does burn me up
though.  Why the hell is it necessary to spot people on FT-8.  You can see the
whole band of FT-8 on your monitor.  You have all the spots you ever needed and
can actually hear right there.  Totally silly.

By the way I have worked or seen quite a few big-time contesters on FT-8, so
it's not just for newbies with little stations.

Bill  K4XS/KH7XS