Re: [CQ-Contest] "Test" At End of CQ

To: "k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Test" At End of CQ
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 12:34:25 +0000 (UTC)
 I think the practice came about as a way to distinguish between a guy calling
CQ and a guy calling another station.
If I tune across and hear "%^&*%(@%$ K9YC" it's not clear what K9YC was
intending. "K9YC TEST" made it clear that he was CQing. Also, If I hear just
"TEST" and nobody calling, I know to stick around for the two seconds until the
guy sends another CQ

In recent times I find the standard to be that if I hear "K9YC K9YC" he was
very likely CQing. If I hear just "K9YC" I'll pause for a second to hear if
somebody is responding before I call.  Of course this occasionally results in
me dumping my call over the guy coming back to K9YC.
Sending "TEST" did make more sense back in the days when people found guys
CQing by turning the big knob on the radio, rather than with a mouse click.

73  -   Jim   K8MR