Re: [CQ-Contest] What's your Opinion on 2BSIQ ?

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What's your Opinion on 2BSIQ ?
From: cosson-dimitri <cosson-dimitri@bbox.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 12:50:52 +0200
Hi Jeff,
I don't think that it should be a special category.They just work hard to do
what the brain/the rule permits : one signal at a time. You can do it like
those guys (or not ?).Imagine if I drive a race car with the left leg in the
brake pedal and the right leg on the accelerator pedal, while you do it only
with the right leg, I will be faster than you. Do I have to be in a special
category just because someone else is not able to do it (whatever the reason)
?What about stations with multi stack antennas, an other category ?Stations in
zone 09 & 33, an other category ? If I use an IC-7851 with a low cost multiband
verticale antenna, an other category ? A vintage transceiver with large full
size monoband yagis, an other category ? Stations in an urbanized area, an
other category ? Stations in a coastal area, an other category ? If you're able
to do 40+ hours during a CQWW DX phone, an other category ? And so on....Radio
sport allow you to improve your skill and your station, go ahead. You're in an
urbanized area and can't improve your station, no problem, there will be surely
any "super station" with a SO2R setup (especially in NA) to greet you as guest
opeartor ;-) show us how easy it is to doubling the score with 2BSIQ...
73 de Dimitri F4DSK

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.-------- Message d'origine
--------De : Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com> Date : 02/06/2020  06:24  (GMT+01:00)
À : cq-contest@contesting.com Objet : [CQ-Contest] What's your Opinion on 2BSIQ
?

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are about 2BSIQ ? Do you think
it's fair to group those who operate this way in with a traditional
single-operator or should it (and SO2R) be a separate category? I've
found by looking at the 3830 claimed scores that those who do 2BSIQ come
close to doubling the score of everyone else.

There's also a technically in the rules for most contests that you
aren't really on a band unless you are transmitting. I just happened to
come across a video on YouTube of a well known contester who recorded
himself operating 2BSIQ. What he did is when he was operating on one
band and in the middle of a QSO  he would be CQing on another band. So
he was basically doing a Multi-2 minus transmitting at the same time
with one operator and managing two pileups of stations calling him. Also
consider that if you are Multi-Single you're limited to how many QSY's
you can make on a 2nd radio while doing Single-Op SO2R there is no
limitation. Is that really fair?  For M/S why not just allow unlimited
QSY's on your 2nd radio  if you're only working multipliers on that
station. It would be pretty easy to for those checking your log to
validate this.

CQ kind of addresses these issues but why are the Classic rules
different between CQWW and CQ WPX? I want to operate more than 24 hours
in CQWW.  There isn't anything classic about only allowing 24 hours in
CQWW. It's basically a category for old guys that can't do more than 24
hours anymore. Also why isn't there a Tribander/Single Element category
in CQWW?  Plus this category in WPX says you can't use a receive
antenna. What's going on with that?

Why not make these categories consistent between all CQ sponsored
contests using the WPX definition of Classic and Tribander/Single Element ?

*CQWW Rules :*

/1. Classic Operator (CLASSIC): The entrant will use only one radio, no
QSO finding assistance, and may operate up to 24 of the 48 hours – off
times are a minimum of 60 minutes during which no QSO is logged. If the
log shows more than 24 hours of operation, only the first 24 hours will
be counted for the overlay score. The one radio must not be able to
receive while transmitting. Single Operator Assisted entries are not
eligible for this category./

*CQ WPX Rules :*

/1. Tribander/Single Element (TB-WIRES): During the contest an entrant
shall use only one (1) tribander (any type, with a single feed line from
the transmitter to the antenna) for 10, 15, and 20 meters and
single-element antennas on 40, 80, and 160 meters. Separate receiving
antennas are not permitted in this category./*
*

/3. Classic Operator (CLASSIC): The entrant will use only one radio, no
QSO finding assistance, and the one radio must not be able to receive
while transmitting. Operator Assisted entries are not eligible for this
category./

/
/

*ARRL DX Rules :*

The Multi-Single rules for ARRL DX are even worse. You have to take time
away from your run station to work multipliers on a 2nd band. But there
aren't any QSY limitations for a single-operator. So like the CQ
contests you can operate like a traditional multi-2 station in a CQ
contest without any limitations. ARRL - Why not add a Classic -
Tribander/Single Element category like CQ has?

/3.4.4 Band Changes. Single Transmitter and Two Transmitter sub-category
entries are limited to six (6) band changes per clock hour per transmitter./

/
/

I hope those who operate 2BSIQ in contests  don't take my comments
personally. I'm not against the technological advances we have in
contesting these days. I just think it's fair to those who don't have
the means to have all the equipment necessary to do this not be grouped
in with those who do.

Jeff KU8E