[CQ-Contest] Reciprocity in signal strength,

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Reciprocity in signal strength,
From: jpescatore--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:52:13 +0000 (UTC)
I think all of the major kind of universal factors have been listed, you can
see those at work on FT8  where an algorithmic SNR is part of the exchange and
often urban stations are many dB worse at hearing anyone than they are received.
But there are many operator specific issues that cause lack of reciprocity:
Some ops aren't real familiar with their RX settings and have filters wide
open, passbands offset, NR on in the presence of loud signals, RF gain cranked
down, AF gain all the way up etc. This is really apparent in Field Day when you
sit down at a rig someone else has "tweaked." Also apparent when my K3 was
remotely operated by multiple ops! They may be loud but their hearing is down
many dB through "odd" settings...
On the other end are ops who are like FT8 algorithms and can pull calls out
when normal humans don't hear anything. Fred K3ZO (sk) comes to mind. My very
first big time contesting experience was sitting side saddle to Phil KT3Y at
W3LPL and on 40 CW while he ran stations I wasn't even hearing - a combination
of Phil's skill and my lack of experience on what a "clear" run freq sounds
like in CQ WW CW! After about an hour, the signals magically got more readable
to me...
A more recent factor is SO2R operation. The really skilled guys are one thing
but as SO2R use has increased, lack of answers from a station on Band A often
means they are busy working more on Band B or really don't hear as well on Band
A as they are heard on Band A.
73 John K3TN