Re: [CQ-Contest] Reciprocity in signal strength

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reciprocity in signal strength
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 15:25:49 -0600
On 1/22/2023 1:11 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Yes, I've long been convinced that many (most?( instances assigned to "one way propagation" are really differences in RX noise, or of propagation from directions on the other end of the QSO that are stronger than other than mine. One example is a few hours after the start of 160M contests, when I'm hearing bigger east coast stations plenty well enough to copy, but they don't hear me. Yes, directional RX antennas on both ends is a factor, but because the band is open to the east for them, they have both signals and noise propagated from the east.

A similar thing happens trying to work EU from W9 on 80 just after our sunset: We hear the EU stations just fine, but they are hearing a horrendous din coming from everywhere in EU and to east. It's really hard to get through that, especially in CQWW. Similarly, when Jim is hearing the east coast at the beginning of the 160 contest, they are hearing lots of much louder stations from eastern NA.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA