[ct-user] Network question

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Network question
From: n3rd@ix.netcom.com (Dave Hawes)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 18:26:22 -0400
OK, you guys with CT network experience, a question for you.

First some background.  At the N3RS multi_single/multi_two station,
we have always used three wire null modem cables on the serial
network.  (Cable is shielded, runs are short, ferrite beads applied
to each end, and no rf in the shack anyway, so we have never been
able to detect any rfi in the network.)  We have always experienced
some problems in that a "Checksum Error" occurs and a contact made
on one computer does not propagate properly to the other computers.

This does not usually present much of a problem in that we can do a
quick MERGE between the logs at the end of the contest, and report in
an accurate score on 3830.  A nuisance, but not much of a problem.

In preparing for the upcoming WAE CW contest, we are reminded of
last year's problems where we not only got our computers out of synch
(different number of QSOs in each, and therefore different serial
numbers being sent), but also the QTC log got out of synch between
the two computers.  This was a REAL NUISANCE post contest trying to
make sense out of the QTC sheets and logs which showed slightly
disparate information.

K1EA has on his list of long term projects an error free network
protocol, which will eliminate all these problems.  Until he gets
around to that, we continue to look for ways to decrease network
errors.  So, here's the question:

Will a "full" null modem cable between the computers, along with
setting up hardware flow control on the COMTSRs (-RTS command line
switch), yeild any improvements?  The errors we experience don't seem
to be related to network speed, as they occur at 1200 baud.  The
serial ports use 16550 UARTS.

Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.

73 - Dave N3RD
n3rd@ix.netcom.com
http://www.QTH.com/topten

WWW:                      http://www.ve7tcp.ampr.org/Software/ct