[ct-user] CT 9.39 and Band Map

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT 9.39 and Band Map
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:43:31 -0500
>You hit the nail squarely! What may not be so obvious is there are many
users
>of CT out there that got it illegally, a copy of a pal's registered
version.
>Everything but the manual I would say.
>
>I don't think we should feel one bit sorry for these pirates and further,
we
>shouldn't continually answer their questions on the reflector....especially
the
>ones that are easily solved by reading the manual. They would have a manual
had
>they purchased CT in a legitimate manner.

Now hang on just a minute, Bruce. This is a very bad assumption on your
part.

I paid Harvard Software for my copy of CT back in 1994 and received a copy
of the then-current manual. Since then, I have been a registered user of CT
entitled to download all updates (a generous policy of Ken's, to be sure.)
However, as far as I know, there has never been any provision for
downloading or obtaining a new manual. So, when Band Map came out, I had to
read the description in the online revisions file and make some guesses
about how it works. Furthermore, as attested to on this reflector, there are
specific key sequences that cause Band Map to wipe out a previously logged
QSO. That's not a feature -- it's a bug that gives trouble to many
registered users, whether they own a current manual or not.

There have been other enhancements to CT since 1994 that may be documented
in the new manual but those of us legitimately entitled to download updates
have little guidance about how they work. An online copy of the manual would
be nice...

Be careful about making assumptions and accusations -- not all people who
have trouble using CT are software pirates.

73, Dick, WC1M