[ct-user] re CAT CT FT-1000mp

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] re CAT CT FT-1000mp
From: Gary Yantis" <gyantis@midtec.com (Gary Yantis)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 08:25:09 -0600
George --
As a long-time subscriber to this reflector and a satisfied user of CT I
would say a high percentage of observed problems with CT originate from the
attempted use of CT in a Windows shell instead of straight DOS.  The CT
manual does recommend running CT in straight DOS but it would be better if,
on the cover in large letters, it said NEVER, EVER run CT in a Windows
shell.  That would save many hams a lot of grief and aggravation.  To those
that berate CT because of this -- in my opinion it's the all-around best
contest program but nothing can be 100% the way you want it every time,
including CT.  To those that run CT in a windows shell and NEVER have a
problem and can't understand why others do -- you are truly blessed (and
probably have unused IRQs as well as no Windows programs silently running in
the background that can and will unexpectedly conflict with CT and lock your
screen at the worst possible times).

You have no mouse in DOS because your PC is not loading a DOS mouse driver
after you exit Windows and go to DOS.  A mouse in DOS to move/open/close CT
windows is handy.  Check your mouse driver software.  It may have a DOS
version there too that you can install.  If not, there are generic DOS
drivers available free on the Internet. Or perhaps your Windows mouse
software will work in DOS as-is and only needs to be added to your
autoexec.bat file as a commmand (or you can manually load it after you get
to DOS but before you start CT).  To run other programs (propagation, DX
spotting, etc) while using CT, I use another computer.  You can buy old, but
working, computers these days at computer swap meets for next to nothing.
Put CT on the old, cheap PC and save the Pentium for all the other
multitasking Windows programs.  I rarely use it now but, as an extra backup
computer in a CT network, I have CT loaded on an old 386 laptop with 4 Mb of
memory and it performs flawlessly.  It wouldn't bring $100 at a sale and
won't run Windows 95/98, but it's fine for CT.

Glad things are going well for you now.

73
Gary, W0TM
www.w0tm.com