Re: [ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down, (WAS: CT 9.92.001 and Win95help)

To: <ct-User@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT 9.92.001 Slow down, (WAS: CT 9.92.001 and Win95help)
From: "John Shannon" <jsk3wwp@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:12:30 -0500
After trying many other contest programs, I went back to CT recently. It was
the best performer of them all on my ancient computer that I use in the
shack. I did not notice any slowdown at all in any aspect of CT's
performance in the ARRL 10M contest. My machine is a 486 at 66MHz, 32MB of
RAM, Win95.

I wonder if those experiencing slowdown are multitasking with their
computers or have TSR programs running in the background. I run the DOS
version of CT of course, since CTWin doesn't support Windows 95. I set up
the computer so that it is the only thing running on the machine when I am
using it in a contest. It runs beautifully that way. My setup is as follows:
I key with the LPT1 port. I operate strictly SO. I don't have any rig
interface set up.

I did not make all that many QSO's in the 10M contest in my 3 hours of
operating. I'll report back when I do the RAC and/or NAQP contests in which
I should be more active with a lot more QSO's.

All the other programs I've used did exhibit some slowdown in one aspect or
another. Although TR also performed quite well on the ancient machine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come and visit me at
http://home.alltel.net/johnshan/

73 - John, K3WWP - 100% CW & QRP
using simple wire antennas.

My website is now in its eighth year
of operation and includes the following:

DX QSL Routes ** Operating Tips
QRP Rigs Info ** CW Contest Calendar
Daily Propagation Info ** Your CW Stories
Teens and CW ** Monthly polls
Categorized Quality Links ** MUCH MORE

If you love Morse Code, please join the
FISTS club - http://www.fists.org