[NA-User] 2 radios - 1 COM port

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] 2 radios - 1 COM port
From: wc4h@itis.net (Carl - WC4H)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:57:29 -0500
As I had said, I use CT (I'm not 100% familiar with NA nuances) so it works
for me.  I downloaded the NA demo but it's DOS and Windows XP is not great
for DOS programs.  I may have missed something in my download but I could
not find a Windows version.  I was going to say "If NA lets you put both
radios on one COM port" but decided not to.  Oooopppssss.

I agree that you turn off the transceive function unless you want both
radios to be on the same frequency.  That is what the transceive does. Let's
you turn one dial and both radios change frequencies.  It does have its
uses.

The ability to assign radio 1 and radio 2 to the same COM port is essential
to Icom users since the CT-17 is designed to use one com port for 4 radios.
It keeps the data straight based on the memory address.  I don't know that
it is intended to send data to both radios at the same time, since it only
uses one COM port.  I think the premise is that you use one radio at a time.
CT, Win-EQF, etc. also use that premise.  Hence, you toggle between radio 1
and radio 2.   There should be zero data collisions.  I find that the
interface works fine with two radios and saves COM ports.

BTW, Win-EQF lets you set up Radio 1 and Radio 2 on the same COM port but it
is not primarily a contesting program.

73
Carl