[NA-User] LPT1 interface problem on new computer

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] LPT1 interface problem on new computer
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:13:01 -0400
K8CC wrote:

>Steve,
>
>You might take a look at the BIOS settings for the LPT configuration -
>specifically, the LPT port may be set up as an EPP (enhanced parallel port)
>instead of a SPP (standard parallel port).  (I'm sure about the EPP
>designation, I'm not so sure about SPP, but its something like that).

It's the first thing I checked when the problem arose. SPP is the BIOS
default, but I tried the other settings just for the hell of it. No
dice.

>I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between EPP and SPP.  Modern
>printers use the LPT port in new, bi-directional ways from the old days,
>and its perhaps inevitable that at some point they abandon compatibility
>down to the register level which is what NA needs.

Yep, now we can be told "put paper in the tray, IDIOT". It's wonderful.

>Responding to Tom Homewood's comment, I doubt the operating system is the
>problem.  If it was (as would be the case with Win2000) then the keying
>would not work either.  The keying and PTT signals are simply different
>bits in the same register - assuming no hardware damage, if one works both
>should work.

Now that I think about it, I had a bad LPT port on a new motherboard
a few years ago, so this wouldn't be the first if that turns out to
be it.

I just thought I'd try the lazy way first. I'll dig in a little deeper
now and report back.

Thanks Dave,
--
Steve K8LX