[RFI] Television RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Television RFI
From: k0il@qsl.net" <EEDWARDS@oppd.com (k0il@qsl.net)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:57:30 -0600
>When my tv is off, I receive spikes on my HF receiver spaced about
>54kHz apart (switching power supply?).  They are typically about S9.
>When the tv is turned on, the spikes turn into broadband noise typically
>around S4 to S5.

I have a similar problem with my Sony XBR trinitron TV, but only while it is
on.  I am lucky that it is quiet when it is turned off!  It's mainly
bothersome on 17 & 15 meters.  In addition to generating RFI, it rcvs RFI
quite well too!

The XBR is a fine TV except for the cheap power supply.  I've had two fail on
me, and they generate more & more noise until they fail.  I also tried
wrapping everything into & out of the TV.  It helped on the RFI into the TV,
but not at all on the noise coming out of it.

I also considered getting an ANC-4, but have decided to what until I get my
tower up this summer to see if having the ham antenna further away from the TV
helps.  I use an R5 vertical on the roof directly above the TV now.

73,
de ed -- K0iL
k0il@qsl.net

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html