[RFI] Television RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Television RFI
From: JACK ALTHOUSE <Palomar@compuserve.com> (JACK ALTHOUSE)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:32:44 -0500
>When my TV is off, I receive spikes on my HF receiver spaced about 54 kHz
apart (switching power supply?). They are typically about S9.
>When the TV is turned on, the spikes turn into broadband noise typically
around S4 to S5.

First find the exact path the RFI is taking. To check the TV power cable
with Radio Shack "clamp-on" core you must make 5 turns or so on the core to
be effective. If no change disconnect the antenna cable. If RFI disappears
treat the cable with ferrite. Check anything else connected to the TV.

If no change then the path is direct radiation from the TV. Shielding
required. A coax cable from your receiver terminated in a small one turn
wire loop can snoop (cautiously) around the TV chassis to find the source.
Apply shielding to that area (cautiously and non-shorting).

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html