RE: [RFI] BPL reply comments

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, <kilo.mike@gte.net>, "RFI Reflector" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] BPL reply comments
From: "Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:59:39 -0400
BPL is a carrier-current device.  Some carrier-current devices, such as campus
AM broadcast facilities, are intentional emitters. Those must meet the
requirements for intentional emitters and avoid intentionally transmitting in
the restricted bands defined in 15.205.

Those that do not intentionally radiate are unintentional emitters, but because
they are carrier-current devices, they must also meet the requirements for
intentional emitters. But as unintentional emitters, the provisions of 15.205
don't apply.

Part 15 is quite a tangle of rules and cross-linkage of same. :-)

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06111
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: w1rfi@arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis

ARRL is the National Association for Amateur Radio.  It is supported by
membership dues, individual contributions and the sale of  publications and
advertising. For more information about ARRL, go to
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/inside-your-league.html. For more information
about membership, go to http://www.arrl.org/join.html.  Your contribution can
also help support ARRL's ongoing efforts to protect Amateur spectrum. Go to
https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/basic/ to learn more about the
ways you can support the ARRL programs and activities of most importance to
you. You can help ARRL protect Amateur Radio for you and future generations to
enjoy.