[RFI] high noise level...

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] high noise level...
From: "Paul Walsh" <woly@wimpley.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:42:47 +0100
Thanks again to everyone for the great response to my plea for help,

Today i made a very simple choke balun, used the biggest ferrite ring i had,
and could just about squeze 3 turns of coax through. I didnt think it would be
very affective, but it was!
It has reduced the noise level from the S6/7 down to a S2/3 at the worst, it
has also improved the f/b ratio by a large amount.
I think i can make a better balun with more turns of coax round a bigger
ferrite ring, so hopefully when i do this it may reduce the noise futher, but
at the moment its a massive improvement on the RX.

So once again im a happy-ham!

Just in time for the WAE contest! - Thankyou very much to every one who mailed
with advice, its been a great help.

Just to answer Ians question, my last antenna was a zx yagis mini2000 minibeam
on my chimney, so it was about 14ft away from where the quad is and i never
noticed the high noise level on that antenna.

thanks
Paul
G3PJV..