Re: [RFI] shielding question

To: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>, "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] shielding question
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:39:45 -0500
> I found the site where the papers are but AES wants $10 each for them.
>  Is it possible that you, being the author, can put them up on a web
> site and let the folks on this reflector know where to find them?

Jim and Jim,

I was interested in why or how adding a drain inside a shield would suddenly
render the shield "useless". I'd like to know what electrical effect is
severe enough to cause common mode impedance inside the cable to be
significantly less than common mode impedance outside the cable.

The idea that a drain would upset everything for common mode excitation and
make rules invalid disagrees with my measurements of shields and shielded
cables.

Now I'm not saying a small change might not occur from cable to cable. What
I'm saying is I have a hard time understanding how a drain wire would affect
a real-world system to the point where the shield "might as well not be
there".

Everything else makes sense to me.

I draw the line at paying. I make it a point to NOT pay for references in a
hobby where people are here to help people, no matter who gets the profit.

73 Tom