RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference

To: aa6yq@ambersoft.com
Subject: RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
Dave Bernstein said:

> We'd be unhappy, but none of us would deny the world a cancer cure to
> preserve HF amateur radio.

Lowering the cost vs speed of internet service is hardly in the
same league with curing cancer.  Remember, anyone can now get dialup
for low cost or broadband for high cost (see www.agristar.com).
BPL at best is more bits for less bucks.  There is no demand
for more bits for more bucks.

> 2. it generates electromagnetic interference to a range of critical
> public safety and aviation services,

I mentioned that in my letter.

> 1. its not "plug and play" -- transformers must be bridged, or
> pole-mounted WiFi transceivers must be installed to provide connectivity
> to subscribers; the resultant labor costs and time-to-revenue delays are
> signficant

Larry mentions that BPL will use WiFi for the last 100 feet
and fiber for everthing but the last mile.  It's only the
"last 5180 feet" where BPL uses power lines.

Attacking BPL on economic grounds isn't going to work either.
The proponents have their own money to throw down the rathole.

> Even more fortunately, there's a better alternative to BPL -- WiMAX. The

Powell's case for BPL is that we need more competition.  WiMAX is yet
another competitor, but Powell's philosophy is the more the merrier.
BPL and WiMAX are not mutually exclusive, anymore than FTTH, which
is mentioned in the article.

Rick N6RK