RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference
From: "Dave Bernstein" <dave.bernstein@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:20:12 -0400
Yes, like many anti-BPL arguments, most of the same points were mentioned --
but with different rationale and emphasis.

If I say "you can't have cheap broadband access because I want to be able to
chat on the radio with my friends in Australia each evening", then I'm
arguing that my self-interest is more important than your self-interest. You
are of course free to disagree, self-interest being entirely subjective. If
enough of a majority decides they prefer cheap broadband access over hams
continuing to do their thing, then the hams will lose. Actually, all that's
required for hams to lose is the belief by politicians and bureaucrats that
a majority won't strenuously object.

If I say "BPL has high risk and low value, and here are the facts that
substantiate this argument", then I've moved the argument from the
subjective realm of self-interest to the more objective realm of economics.
Assuming valid facts and clear logic, this undermines support for BPL from
both investors and potential subscribers. In the "BPL generates
interference" arm of this argument, hams are the least important impacted
population because their hobby activities generate little or no economic or
political value. We shouldn't claim that BPL's interference-generation can't
be corrected -- we need only point out that mitigating interference must be
done on a case-by-case basis, which is very expensive and makes deployment
extremely unpredictable.

The recent situation in Cedar Rapids, where Alliant Power withdrew from the
BPL business because it was unable to rectify an interference problem,
perfectly substantiates this position. We should aggressively seek to
replicate this scenario; this is an area where the ARRL's anti-BPL efforts
have been well-executed and effective, but we need more. Even better would
be BPL shutdowns due to interference to public safety services. No doubt
there are hams working in the communications sections of these services;
have we identified these hams and asked them to be on the lookout for BPL
RFI?

Power companies have Boards of Directors, and they have investors. Generally
speaking, none of these folks like throwing money down rat holes. Clearly,
that's not what they're being told BPL will do; they mostly hear only one
side of the story. The more we help propagate a clear understanding of the
poor economics behind BPL, the more likely these Board Members and investors
are to hear about it and start asking hard questions. You'd be surprised how
often a magazine article forwarded by one Board Member to several others can
produce a spirited discussion at the next board meeting.

This fight will not be won by converting Powell or any other politician or
bureaucrat; we can't ignore them, or they'll tilt the playing field even
more to BPL's advantage, but our focus must be on helping WiMAX etc. kill
BPL in the marketplace, preferably before BPL gets much of an installed
base.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ