[RFI] RFI vs QRO?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI vs QRO?
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:07:53 -0700 (PDT)
I was going to reply to a recent question about how to
handle RFI along the following lines:  The cheapest
and most reliable way to reduce RFI is to reduce Tx
power.

That's not intended to be snide, elitist, or
anti-elitist.  But the hypothesis is that going from
100W to 1 kW can cause a lot more than 10 dB increase
in RFI.  That would be because of non-linear issues
like fundamental overload, thresholds in digital
systems, etc.

Has anyone looked at this carefully?

Of course, it's RF field strength that is the problem,
and that depends on antennas and transmission lines as
well as operating power.

I've never operated over 100 W, but I've thought about
it.  For my operating style, I don't usually need
another S-unit, and I certainly don't need
neighborhood & family hassle. Still...

73, Martin AA6E