Re: [RFI] PG&E IR line fault detection advertisements

To: <richard@karlquist.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] PG&E IR line fault detection advertisements
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:53:00 -0600
Rick,

A deeper look into the field of using 'camera
imagery' for location of potential faults or
actual 'faults' in overhead line gear result in
this interesting find:

Corona Camera
http://www.specialcamera.com/uvcam/cameras.html

This would seem be a little more applicable to
finding 'arcs' and arcing line gear (as, it seems, arcs
produce much more energy in the UV spectrum rather
than in the longer IR wavelengths).

An 'active' demo with animated imagery can be
seen on this page:

http://www.specialcamera.com/uvcam/corimage.html

Give that page a few mins to load; something in
excess of a 1.5 MB showed to be downloading
at one point while I was waiting for that page to
load.

(I realize, too, that the example shown are for
"transmission level" lines and not the lower
voltage "distribution circuit" lines that most
of us have experience DFing noise on.)

My own personal experience for locating RF noise
sources on poles and in/on residential property
involves locating RF souces only; no IR, UV
or ultrasonics, though I have actually audiblely
*heard* one prodigious RF noise producer on a
distribution-level line noise source.

I have found, like others, that different 'sources'
can be predominant at different RF wavelengths,
from predominantly HF only sources to sources
that peak out in the low-band VHF area (6 M
and TV low-band VHF channles) to arcing
sources (like doorbell transformers) that are
able to be DF'd with a UHF receiver in AM
receive mode connected to a hand-held
7-element Yagi antenna.

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /