Re: [RFI] Lights flickering next door

To: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Lights flickering next door
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:40:55 -0400
> Please, no more warnings about installing stuff in my
neighbor's home.
>  I wasn't planning to do the work myself anyway.  I would
like to know
> if any of you have good solutions to problems like this if
they affect
> something (like a light socket) that doesn't have a
visible cord that
> can be wrapped around a toroid.

Kelly,

I have RFI proofed photocell lights, garage door openers,
and other things with .01 uF UL/CSA approved line bypass
capacitors rated at 250 Vac. They are almost always much
more effective than toroids anyway for both ingress and
egress. As a matter of fact even though I have hundreds of
"proper cores" laying around I rarely use them.

I bypass both hot and neutral leads to the safety ground
lead. I only do this *inside* a flame-proof box, like a wall
box or breaker panel.

There might be a commercial product with larger flying leads
around for doing this.

What I have also done is install bypass caps inside an
enclosed molded plug and found a "sweet" outlet where the
plug can be installed.  You can also purchase "shield beads"
of 73 material or higher that slip over individual
conductors, but they generally aren't effective unless the
RF impedance is low at the point where they are installed.

73 Tom