Re: [RFI] 14028 to 14034 hashbirdietrash

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 14028 to 14034 hashbirdietrash
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:40:43 -0700
Dunno why I didn't think of Ethernet. I am glad now that I turned down DSL
service!

If your entire apartment complex is wired for DSL, you are surrounded by
these Ethernet sources.
If you are lucky, only one or two are causing the bulk of your
interference, and a small SW receiver
can be used (antenna collapsed) to "audit" them for the noise you are
getting. Suppression then becomes
a matter of ferrites and filters as already suggested.

However, it might be *everyone*.  You may in that case find it more
practical to see if an active noise
canceler such as a Timewave or MFJ will let you hear past 'em.

There's one little hook here you might pull on; you may find the Ethernet
equipment is "Class A" -- 10 dB
noisier than Class B (residential) -- in which  case, whoever had them
installed is responsible for replacing them
all with Class B -- and past that, non-interfering -- units.  If you want
to fight THAT fight.

I'm not a lawyer -- and this isn't legal advice, of course.

Cortland
KA5S

DSL/CABLE