Re: [RFI] grounding your ham equipment

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] grounding your ham equipment
From: rrath@charter.net
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:37:08 -0700
Gregory, I have always been told not to Daisey Chain when possible. I was
told to run the ground wire to a bus bar (I use a 12" pc of copper pipe) and
then ground all my equipment to the bus bar. As far as grounding wire, I use
an 8 guage stranded wire from my ground rods ( I use two 8' rods) to my bus
bar (mounted under my counter top for the radios) and then run 10 gauge
stranded wire from the bus bar to each pc of equipment. I have 8 items at
my station, so I have 8 pieces of 10 gauge wire going to my 12" grounded
bus bar.

Right or wrong, this is how I have done my station.

Now my tower is to far from my station, with a cement slab between tower
and station, so I have put three 8' ground rods in the ground for the tower. I
dug the hole for the cement, for the tower and put one in the center of the
hole and the other two at ground level and ran 8 gauge standed wire to all
three and then to the tower.

Right or wrong, this is how I did my tower.

I live across the street from a power sub station. My tower and antennas are
higher than any thing at the sub station. During lightning storms, the sub
station get hammered with lightning and my tower has been left alone. I
have lived here for over 15 yrs with no problem. (now that this is all been
told, the next lightning storm I will have a strike, hi hi) I hope this helps.

Rod

> i am planing putting up a new tower and beam. now on my ham station
equipment what is the best way to ground tuner, radio etc to my station
to my ground rod. to avoid ground loops do i use tuner as my central and
ground all ham gear to my tuner and then to grounding rod outside. th
use copper strap or braided strap from ham gear to tuner and then to
grounding rod .thanks. kx3x