Re: [RFI] IN-band Filters

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] IN-band Filters
From: Bryan Swadener <bswadener@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:00:14 -0800 (PST)
> >  I'm looking for some form of filter for the
> purpose of
> > reducing interference between stations operating
> on the
> > same band (ie, fone-cw).  This would be used in a
> planned
> > multi-transmitter contest setup during Field Day
> 2007.
> > The bandwidth and slope would need to be good
> enough to
> > prevent fundamental overload of (and possibly
> damage to)
> > the receiving station.
>
> You typically won't be able to have significant
> attenuation
> even with very good L/C components and stubs with
> their
> inherent low Q are out of the question.
> I was somewhat successful using toroids with a Q
> unloaded of
> 500 or so in a well designed filter, but tuning of
> the
> filter was critical.  Stubs actually have terrible
> Q,
> especially down on 80 or 40 meters.
>
> The real key is antenna separation and good radios.
>
> 73 Tom

Tom & Tim,

Thanks for the quick replies.  In the interest of
maintaining Q, I have access to tight tolerance
porcelain (very low ESR) capacitors and up to #10
polyimide-coated wire.  However from your experiences,
it sounds like my idea would be wasted effort.

We'll use your suggestions: wide antenna separation +
good radio equipment.  We have use of a site that will
allow up to about 1000' separation.  We plan on using
an Elecraft K2 and a Yaesu FT990.

Vy 73,
Bryan