Re: [RFI] IN-band Filters

To: "Bryan Swadener" <bswadener@yahoo.com>, <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] IN-band Filters
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:09:29 -0500
> Thanks for the quick replies.  In the interest of
> maintaining Q, I have access to tight tolerance
> porcelain (very low ESR) capacitors and up to #10
> polyimide-coated wire.  However from your experiences,
> it sounds like my idea would be wasted effort.

Most good capacitors are far above what you can do with the
inductor. The highest Q reasonable size inductors I have
ever measured just approach Q=1000. Those are large
transmitting inductors used in high power BC transmitters
like the big edge wound or copper tubing coils you see in
5-10kW transmitters. #8 tinned copper buss wire in good form
factor can provide a Q of 500 or more.

I even tried using 1/2 inch silver plated pipe inductors two
feet tall and 18 inches diameter with vacuum caps for lower
HF without success.

Every inductor design program I have tried greatly
overestimates Q.  At least according to my HP4191A, which is
often consider the standard of component measurement
equipment.

> We'll use your suggestions: wide antenna separation +
> good radio equipment.

That's about all that will work, other than bandpass crystal
filters or other expensive systems. By the way, if you use
cross polarization be SURE the dipole is broadside to the
vertical. As we move from perfectly broadside the
polarization of a dipole tilts more and more vertical.
Nearly off the ends the dipole will have maximum vertical
coupling.

73 Tom