Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: "Andy" <ingraham.ma.ultranet@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:15:19 -0500
> (S)o far my experience with CFL's has been very poor.

My experience has been overall very good with CFLs that come in the standard
screw base and with either coiled or straight tubes.  I think I've had two of
them eventually go bad (start flickering or stop working altogether) over the
several years that we have had them.  I don't have hard data like you, but
they last noticeably longer than the incandescents they replaced.  Most have
never failed.  I'm not sure of the brands, perhaps Sylvania?

We have two in the outside fixtures (where they aren't recommended),
upside-down, and they are still OK.

On the other hand, we have had three "Lights of America" circular fixtures and
they do not last as long.  One just went bad last week, after a couple years
of light use.

Can't say about the RFI, except that the CFLs make less of it than other
sources around here.

Andy