Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:52:51 -0500

Peter Laws wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:17, David C. Hallam <dhallam@rapidsys.com> wrote:
>

>> Do far my experience with CFL's has been very poor.  I mark the date in
>> service on each one as I install it.  6 months is the longest one has
>> lasted with a couple a little as 2 weeks.  Overall, I would rate them as

We still have some of our original *expensive* CFLs in operation.
> I'm shocked at that.  I mark mine, too.  Some globe-type bulbs in the
> kitchen table fixture have started to go (2 of 5 so far) and I was
> extremely disappointed to see that they'd only been in service for a
> year.

That depends on how many hours they have on them.  I've also had
incandescents with premature failures.
Remember that CFLs are sensitive to moisture.
> We replaced all incandescents in our Chicagoland house in 2000-2001
> and most of those were still in service when we moved in 2006.
> Notable exceptions were the two lamps in the outdoor fixtures.
that's probably a combination of the moisture and temperature
>   We
> also had some problems with CFLs in a seiling fan fixture which I
> attribute to the fact that the bulb sits at about a 45 deg angle
> instead of vertical (come to think of it, we've had the same issue
> with a ceiling fan fixture here, too.

We've only lost one out a ceiling fan fixture. Those are the ones that
are nearing 3 years in service. One is even completely enclosed in a
globe, but no problems so far.
> Except for special-needs fixtures (like the oven and some others),
> I'll never use incandescents again.

Me either and as soon as LEDs approach useful output we'll be switching
to those  Currently I don't see 40 watts output (3 - 5 watt load) as
useful. The 3 - 5 watt LED makes a good flashlight, but not much else.
However we do need to remember that LEDs are very low voltage devices
and will require additional circuity with will probably fail long before
the useful life of the LEDs.

73

Roger (K8RI)