Re: [RFI] Handheld Rx for Topband

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Handheld Rx for Topband
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:06:58 -0800
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:30:13 -0000, G8EWT wrote:

>Can anyone give me the model number of a reasonably priced radio that covers
>2MHz that's available in Europe? Alternately I will be visiting the US in
>April and could arrange for delivery to my hosts there.

The recommendations for the consumer products like the Grundigs are good. I
don't
have one of those, but I have a Kenwood VHF/UHF talkie that receives all the
way
down to 500 kHz. Below 10 MHz, it autoswitches to an internal loopstick
antenna,
but you can override that to use the antenna connector from the menu. It's NOT
very sensitive below VHF, so it won't hear weak signals, and it overloads on
strong signals. Yaesu also makes one.

Another possibility is one of the little QRP all-band rigs like Yaesu makes.
There's at least one model that runs on batteries. My neighbor, K6XX has one of
those that we've used to chase noise. They are probably distributed worldwide.
You'll need some sort of antenna for it. Something as simple as a rigid piece
of
wire shoved into the coax connector will work, and you can build a small loop.

73,

Jim K9YC