Re: [RFI] Types of flatscreen (Re: Plasma TVs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Types of flatscreen (Re: Plasma TVs
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:29:05 -0500

On 11/11/2010 12:05 AM, John DeGood wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 4:03 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>> I don't think I've ever heard of an LCD TV that radiated RFI trash, and
>> I don't think I've ever heard of a plasma TV that didn't produce trash.
> My experience is just the opposite.
>
> Our 42" plasma TV (older Gateway) is extremely clean.
>
> Our 37" LCD TV (newer Magnavox) renders the HF bands virtually unusable.
More than likely in this case it's the power supply. No guarantee, but
most likely.
>   I added a Corcom filter that effectively suppressed most of the power cable
> RFI, but I have been unable to satisfactorily filter the 2 HDMI connections
> (set-top box and DVD player).  Adding 4 Radio Shack 273-104 snap-together
> chokes (2 on each HDMI cable) helped some but is grossly inadequate:  because
> of the thickness of the HDMI cable I can only fit 3 turns through
> eachsnap-together choke.
There are some larger cores available.  If the 3 turns does make a
difference, check Mouser and some of the other sources . I use a lot of
the 2.4" OD 32 mix cores for current baluns and power line chokes. The
problem is it takes a lot of turns and cores to get the frequency down
to the primary noise frequency.  With the HDMI lines you might have to
stack clamp ons the full length of the cable, (which might be kinda heavy)

There are larger snapons available, but they get pretty pricey although
they are certainly cheaper than a new TV set although even really good
37" are now *relatively* inexpensive.

The last couple of TV sets we purchased were on a "trial basis". I
agreed I was going to purchase a set, but that was contingent on it not
causing RFI or being susceptible to the RF from the ham station.  I also
had to be satisfied with the picture and sound, or overall set.  I had
no trouble getting several stores including Best Buy to agree, but they
were confident I was going to purchase.  I finally chose one of the
stores due to the breadth of what they carried plus the "in store" help
and attitudes. The first set I chose worked better than I had expected.
OTOH it had just been announced and they only had a single
demonstrator.  I took delivery just two days later. Of course being the
first out, I could now purchase the newest model of that size (40") with
the latest advances for less than 1/3rd of what I paid 3 years ago.

73

Roger (K8RI)