Re: [RFI] Line noise update

To: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Line noise update
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 17:34:48 -0400
On 10/09/2012 08:59 AM, dalej wrote:
I have one question regarding your Alinco receiver.  How is it
for ease of use?  Do you need the manual along to operate it.
The reason I ask is I already have an Alinco DJ-G7 which is a
bear to program without the manual.

Hi Dale,

I have no experience with the earlier unit so I am not able to make comparisons. I haven't tried to use memories yet, as I haven't needed them. They may very well be a bear. After 5 minutes with the manual when I opened the box, I have had no problems setting frequency, mode, attenuator, tone, tuning step and other basic functions. Even after using it for a few hours and putting it aside for a month I was able to navigate basic functions without the manual. That is not typical for me with modern devices. Personally I would call it intuitive once one gather two or three very basic concepts from the manual. Most basic functions are accessed the same way: Push the function button; push the button for the function you want, such as MODE, STEP, ATT, etc.; rotate the tune knob to select the desired option; press the function button to exit set mode and return to normal display. Frequencies can be easily entered directly from the keypad: very useful for big changes.

By the way, I also found it to be a good "sniffer" for adding chokes to network associated cables in order to minimize ethernet birdies in my station.

73,
Paul N1BUG