Re: [RFI] Line noise update

To: "dalej" <dj2001x@comcast.net>, "N1BUG" <paul@n1bug.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Line noise update
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 18:38:57 -0500
Hello to the RFI sniffers!

I have yet to put this radio to that application, but my Icom IC-91A offers
AM reception from below the AM b'cast band thru HF, plus the aircraft band
and even higher.  If I replace the factory-supplied "dummy load" duckie
with a "real" antenna (in my case, a dual band [2m/70cm]) that has some
length to it, I have no problem with receiving several AM b'cast stations
here at my eastern IA QTH, plus WWV on 10 MHz and 15 MHz.  I have yet to
try aircraft band reception, but it's there.  BTW: After just 2 or 3
read-thru's of how to select the various bands and modes, I could put away
the manual and make changes on the fly.

I think the IC-91A has been replaced by the IC-92AD, but check around.  I
got mine on closeout from AES back in March.  It is capable of digital mode
(unimportant for RFI work) if the owner wants to drop another $200 for a
postage stamp-sized board to place in the radio.

73,
Dale Svetanoff, WA9ENA
Sr EMC Engineer
E-N-A Systems, LLC
Specializing in shielding applications, system grounding, and lightning
protection

more to do functions of course.  What I'm looking for is a very portable rx
that I can punch in freq to the keypad and select a mode without having the
manual along.  Exactly the same purpose you use yours for, sniffing noise.

> My first trip will be to my neighbors house, IF I can get them to consent
to a noise search.  I'm almost 100 percent sure it's either the dimmer
switch or their kitchen lighting that is causing a blanket 15 db above
normal noise floor noise. I have another ham in the area that might help
me.  It might take a while.  I'm willing to buy them a new dimmer if it can
be determined it is the culprit.  It could also be a switching PS that
powers the fancy kitchen lighting. I think it is buried in the ceiling
though and would be tough to troubleshoot.  It could also be a bad wiring
job, that would even be more difficult.  They had their kitchen remodeled a
few years ago and that's when the noise started.

> I've been here a few weeks short of 39 years and it's been a quiet
location up until the remodeling.  Trying to work any DX on 40 or 75 after
the kitchen lights are on at 5:30 to 7:30 weekdays and all weekend long, is
almost impossible.

> The DJ-X11 looks promising and it's less expensive than the Icom, I'll
have a look at the manual and see if I can handle it while on the go.

> Can anyone recommend a RFI proof dimmer switch that I can buy to exchange
with my neighbor?

> Tnx, 73
> Dale, k9vuj
>

> On 09, Oct 2012, at 16:34, N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/09/2012 08:59 AM, dalej wrote:
> >> I have one question regarding your Alinco receiver.  How is it
> >> for ease of use?  Do you need the manual along to operate it.
> >> The reason I ask is I already have an Alinco DJ-G7 which is a
> >> bear to program without the manual.
> >
> > Hi Dale,
> >
> > I have no experience with the earlier unit so I am not able to make
comparisons. I haven't tried to use memories yet, as I haven't needed them.
They may very well be a bear. After 5 minutes with the manual when I opened
the box, I have had no problems setting frequency, mode, attenuator, tone,
tuning step and other basic functions. Even after using it for a few hours
and putting it aside for a month I was able to navigate basic functions
without the manual. That is not typical for me with modern devices.
Personally I would call it intuitive once one gather two or three very
basic concepts from the manual. Most basic functions are accessed the same
way: Push the function button; push the button for the function you want,
such as MODE, STEP, ATT, etc.; rotate the tune knob to select the desired
option; press the function button to exit set mode and return to normal
display. Frequencies can be easily entered directly from the keypad: very
useful for big changes.

> > By the way, I also found it to be a good "sniffer" for adding chokes to
network associated cables in order to minimize ethernet birdies in my
station.