[RFI] Nineteen Hour Noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Nineteen Hour Noise
From: "Ron, K6KYJ" <k6kyj@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 20:43:29 -0800 (PST)
I have a unique RFI situation that first surfaced within the past thirty days.
The interference is a very constant buzz saw type noise, without pulse and with
constant amplitude. It is strongest at 7.0 mHz with a peak of S9+10 received on
an Icom R71A (my RFI search rig). The signal peaks at S9 on an Elecraft K2.

There are two confusing (in my perception) variables.

The noise ceases every day at precisely 12:23 p.m. local time. It is an instant
on/off cessation. This would suggest that the source is controlled by a timer.

The noise resumes every day at precisely 6:25 p.m. Here is where it becomes
interesting. At the edge of my property is a new Pacific Gas and Electric (PGE)
LED street light. It would seem that the street light comes on simultaneously
with the noise.

[My next step to confirm the light/noise association is to set up a video
camera with sound linked to a receiver.]

The timer aspect makes me suspect grow lights on a timer.  This is a real
possibility. The concurrence with the street light coming on points at a LED
power supply issue.

(For the record, I have read all of the previous threads re grow lights. I
would prefer not to enable further discussion of the legalities of herbal
agriculture; in my neighborhood, until recent regulations became law, there
were at least fifty (CA) Prop. 215 medical marijuana grows within a mile of my
QTH.)

A complaint has been filed with PGE and I have been promised direct contact
“within five working days”.  Our mutual approach will probably be a path of
eliminating suspect locations. In the past, PGE has been very cooperative in
resolving issues with the older streetlight photocells and with 12 KV cut out
fuses.

I will return to this thread when more information develops.  Right now, I have
a five hour window for noise-free radio operation.

Ron K6KYJ
Chico CA