Re: [RFI] Nineteen Hour Noise

To: "Ron, K6KYJ" <k6kyj@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Nineteen Hour Noise
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 06:07:48 -0400
On Mar 11, 2013, at 2:12 26AM, "Ron, K6KYJ" <k6kyj@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tonight (Sunday evening 03.10.2013) I am now on Pacific Daylight Savings Time
> (PDST). At 1825 local, the street lights in my neighborhood did not come on
> as has happened in the past. My assumption is that this was a function of the
> change to PDST....At 1825 local, there was NO RFI noise heard at 6.990 mHz.
> Nor was there any noise at 1925 local when the street lights came on....
>
> The noise was back, starting at about 2025 local. Note that this is TWO hours
> later than the previous observed starting time....It would appear that the
> timer was reset by two hours.

If it is a simple timer that doesn't "know about" DST, it would "appear" to
shift to one hour later (in local PDT) if there were no human intervention.  If
the human was "confused" and/or didn't know or properly interpret the "Spring
ahead, Fall back" hint, s/he might have set the timer in the WRONG direction by
an hour.  The combined effect of that mistake coupled with the ,change to PDT
would result in the two-hour delay you observed.

My guess is that within a day or three, the error will be corrected, and your
noise will return at about 6:25 p.m. PDT.

Bud, W2RU