Re: [RFI] RFI, Power Company.

To: "RFI Reflector " <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI, Power Company.
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 14:55:36 -0700
"You might get a quick initial response if you call it in as arching, but
they will send the wrong crew out.  If you cannot point to the obviously
arching equipment, they will leave and be a little angry you wasted that
crews' time."

I said "arcing".  They did not ask, and I did not tell them, how it was
detected, but, some were audible, some was RF, they said, "hazardous and may
start a fire.  It is considered an emergency, call the emergency number on
the back of your power bill and report it immediately", which I did.  The
linemen discovered loose hardware, bad jumpers, cracked, broken, missing
insulators, loose transformers, missing/damaged insulation, et cetera, et
cetera...  I am not in a position to make any determination other than
"arcing", which I was informed is, "hazardous and may start a fire.  It is
considered an emergency, call the emergency number on the back of your power
bill and report it immediately".

Aside from that, they failed to repair the damage when they said they would
as well as bring their "telecom" guy out, April 6th.  Now they are under
investigation by the PUC.

PS: The linemen also said to call the emergency number if I hear it on the
radio. Why? "because it's arcing".  Go figure.  Since then eleven more
"arcing" poles have been reported, all under investigation, since they
couldn't get it right the first time.

Kurt