Re: [RFI] My RFI battle....progress report.

To: "Ed K0iL" <eddieedwards@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] My RFI battle....progress report.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 17:28:54 -0700
On 23 Mar 2014 at 13:45, Ed K0iL wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Based on your latest description, are you looking for narrow-banded noise
> spikes?

No.

> Or is it really very broad-banded--only being stronger at the resonant
> frequencies of the antenna you're using?

Yes. Exactly, in fact.

> Power line noise is always very broad-banded getting weaker as you tune
> higher in frequency

That is exactly what I am experiencing here

>--this is more obvious when using a broad-banded
> log-periodic antenna like I have at work.  Whereas the really strong,
> narrow-banded, spiked noises are usually generated by various in-home
> devices like TV sets and computers.

I have eliminated those from consideration: I connected the FT-890 to a
battery, and killed the house main breaker which turns off EVERYTHING in
the house.

There was absolutely no change whatever in the noise. None. Zero. Nada.

Conclusion: it ain't in my home. :-)

> Also keep in mind when tracking power line noises, you will find RFI sources
> everywhere,

Boy! Ain't that the truth!

> but not all of them, and probably only a few of them will cause RFI
> noise to your ham antenna because of standing waves (peaks and nulls) along
> the
> power lines.  The best way to determine if the noise you tracked down is the
> same noise you are hearing at your ham shack is to get a visual waveform
> reading
> on a scope.

Although I do have a portable 20 MHz dual-trace scope, I don't have it in the
shack at the moment. It is in storage. I am hoping I won't have to dig it out.
In
the meantime, I am using Spectran and a laptop.

>  This waveforms method is recommended by Mike Martin, K3RFI, of RFI
> Services, and is described in the book "AC Power Interference Handbook" by
> Marv
> Loftness, KB7KK.  I'll attach a QST article that describes this method.

Thank you. I'll read it immediately.

> Your power company should be using this waveforms method to track power line
> noise and reduce the amount of RFI repairs they need to make to meet the FCC's
> Part 15 requirements.  Why fix noises that do not cause RFI to any licensed
> services?  (or at least have not generated and complaints!)  This makes both
> the
> power company and the ham happy.

Yes. I am in contact with a power company employee who also happens to
be a ham, and is also in charge ot taking care of RFI complaints. If things go
well, I may see him next week.

> Good hunting and GL!

Thank you, Ed.

vy 73,