Re: [RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:21:26 -0800
ADSL - ADSL2 - ADSL2+ - VDSL - VDSL2 is just a development chain for
packet over copper pair last mile.  The later versions generally do more
with less _and_ use a wider bandwidth allowing for higher speeds over
shorter loops.

ADSL2+ can do about 20Mbit downstream on a single perfectly clean 22ga
pair at ~ 5,000 cable feet.  (Real world is 15 - 20Mbit).

VDSL2 can do the same or sometimes even a few Mbit better.

The real win is at 3,000 or shorter loops, where all the copper in an
area comes back to a single remote where the DSL termination gear is the
only "noise" source and can do adaptive noise cancellation (advanced
DSP...  The DSLAM knows about all the noise on all the lines since it is
the primary source and can /cancel/ itself out).

In these cases (< 3kf runs of clean copper to local DSLAMs with fiber
uplink from there) VDSL2 can hit speeds of 100Mbit downstream.