Re: [RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)
From: "Kjell W. Strom" <strom.lime@xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:08:06 +0200
Here, in The Netherlands, I've got VDSL2 via the old buried
telephone cable. It's underground all the way, until it enters
our basement and I have not encountered any interference. The
telephone center, where the DSLAM is placed, is some 600 m cable
away and I can get the maximum 52 Mbit/s where the cable enters.

The downstream is divided into 3 frequency blocks. One includes
the 160 m band, the second the 40 m band and the third 20 m.
When I start transmitting in one of these bands, the system
creates a notch in the downstream for that particular band. I
have noted that, after a morning ragchew on 40 m, the notch has
stayed for some 20 minutes, but when I have made short tests in
other bands, the notch disappeared almost immediately.

I don't know if this performance requirement is limited to
Europe. Recently the regulations over here have been sharpened
up for LAN over powerline, requiring notching for ham bands and
some other frequencies.

73,
Kjell, PB3SM - SM6CPI

RFI